Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Real experiences for real children


#WeNeedDiverseBooks

The hardest part about writing for children is making sure that I stay true to myself as a writer. I strongly believe in crafting stories that are realistic and speak to children’s experiences. I tried to make sure that I followed this thinking as I penned my installment about the rooftop club. At the time, I had never written a story from the perspective of the villains or in this case the bullies of the school. In this book, I attempted to include their perspectives and also to show what happens when bullies are reported. They don’t stop being bullies. They simply just retaliate and get worse. Many children go through this and don’t understand the language to communicate their experiences. It is my hope that children, parents, teachers, and caregivers see the importance of discussing this work. Diverse children need to read about diverse experiences.


Tiffany A. Flowers, Children’s Author

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Amazon Picture Book Picks

Shelfari Pre-Teen/Teen Book Picks

Amazon Chapter Book Picks