Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Black Male Contemporary Characters in Series Books



#WeNeedDiverseBooks

I decided a few years ago to write a book series for males under the pen name P. Boyd. I did this to make sure that boys didn’t reject the book simply because the author happens to be female. My focus in penning this series was to ensure that African American males had contemporary stories about their childhood. They needed something positive to speak to their experience about being children in an ever changing world. At the time, I found no books that included young black males as characters willing to change their environment for the better. In short, my aim was to target the middle ground in literature where reality meets fiction. The result was a story that was crafted to include two African American male characters that decided to open up a detective agency. Their goal was to solve the petty crimes in the neighborhood. I wanted to craft the characters are brilliant, ingenious, ambitious, and curious. Some readers of this blog may wonder why I wrote this series. My answer is simple. In order to any child to believe they are worthy, they must be confirmed through the experiences they read about at school. Black males are no different. In order for black males to be confirmed as brilliant, driven, and ingenious, they must have those experiences confirmed in the literature.

Happy Reading!


Tiffany A. Flowers, Children’s Author 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Amazon Picture Book Picks

Shelfari Pre-Teen/Teen Book Picks

Amazon Chapter Book Picks