Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Books for Black Males Beginning to Read


#WeNeedDiverseBooks

After careful research, I found there are only 3-4 authors that write series books for young African American males in grades 1-3. This is a problem considering there are very few book series written for African American males in the early grades. This is an issue considering early reading is the foundation for reading success. If black males have very few reading choices that include their experiences, how will they become successful readers?

As an author, I knew I had to do something. Therefore, I penned an unusual book series with African American males that are beginning readers as my audience. The Guardians of History is a sci-fi/historical book series about a family of mythical guardians that are charged with traveling back in time to ensure that certain moments in history take place. Key figures in African American history are highlighted in a historical fiction/science fiction format. I plan to pen more books in this series. I am excited about the impact of this series and the positive dynamic of the storylines.

Happy Reading!


Tiffany A. Flowers, Children’s Author   

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Amazon Picture Book Picks

Shelfari Pre-Teen/Teen Book Picks

Amazon Chapter Book Picks